Monday, February 19, 2007

Books

It has occurred to me that I am supposed to be writing primarily about books on this blog... but lately I have been more preoccupied with talking about fancy spas and disgusting celebs. So I shall attempt to rectify that with a brief catch up of my literary endeavours...

WG Sebald: "The Rings Of Saturn"
This is one for the MA. I started it about a month ago and need to finish it by tomorrow. The trouble is that, while being beautifully written, it is so dull that I am unable to stay awake long enough to read more than a few pages. The other problem is that since it has no structure whatsoever (being a terribly clever and postmodern attempt to dissolve the framework of the novel) I am unable to concentrate on what I am reading, and spend more time wondering what I need to buy at Sainsbury's later. Red snapper, sugar snaps, rocket...

Alan Warner: "The Sopranos"
Another MA one, however I read this by choice years ago and loved it. I'm getting much more out of it the second time around and have nearly finished it. The debauched tale of five or six Scottish choir girls let loose in Edinburgh for the day. Highly recommended. Takes a leaf out of Irvine Welsh's mythical guide to writing a book in Scottish. Don't let that put you off though.

Michael Bracewell: "The Crypto-Amnesia Club"
My tutor suggested this as a possible for my next essay (on how literature reflects Thatcher's ideas of a society-less society), alongside Amis's "Money". So I sped through the 110 pages in two hours. It's very self-conscious and wanky as the title suggests, but it also seems very true of the late '80s nightclub scene and general dissatisfaction with life. I read Bracewell's "Saint Rachel" years ago and considered it to be cod-"Prozac Nation", and why would anyone need that?

Hanif Kureishi: "Sammy And Rosie Get Laid"
I read the script and accompanying diaries (fascinating) thinking it might tie in with my essay (see above), but have since decided the Indian connection is making life more complicated - as I only have 5,000 words. But I may change my mind back as I love Kureishi's stuff. The concepts of anarchy and outrage appeal to my inner teen.

There have been more, but I think these are the most significant...

No comments: